MHSP Resources for trusts
Resources for Trusts
This page contains resources developed by the Mental Health and Smoking Partnership for colleagues working in mental health Trust’s.
Evidence into practice
This new evidence into practice briefing sets out evidence, case studies and lessons for practice on the implementation of smokefree policies in line with NICE PH48 in mental health trusts. It also directs readers to further resources that provide advice and guidance on issues such as prescribing of pharmacotherapy, commissioning in line with smokefree policies and staff training.
Smokefree Q&A: What should you be asking your Trust?
The Partnership has created a Q&A document for mental health trusts. It sets out key questions to assess your trust’s progress towards supporting service users to quit smoking in line with NICE guidance PH48.
'Quit smoking' poster for inpatient settings
Additional smoking and mental health resources
- Smoking and mental health – A joint report by the Royal College of Physicians and the Royal College of Psychiatrists
- NICE Guidance PH48 – Smoking: acute, maternity and mental health services
- Mental health, smoking and poverty in the UK – This report, by Dr Tessa Langley of the University of Nottingham, quantifies the extent to which smoking exacerbates poverty in adults with mental health conditions in the UK
- ASH smoking and mental health survey 2016 – This report examines the results of surveys which explored the attitudes of people with mental health conditions to smoking and the views of staff working with people with mental health conditions
- Smoking and mental health conditions – This briefing sits within the wider Health Inequalities Resource Pack which has been designed as a set of pragmatic tools, setting out the problem and solutions, to support the case for targeted tobacco control in groups with high smoking prevalence
- The ASH Smoking and mental health factsheet (PDF)