This page contains recordings of all Mental Health and Smoking Partnership webinars. The webinars cover a variety of topics and involve experts and practitioners from the NHS, the third sector and academia.
Webinar: Implementing Smokefree Mental Health Settings (March 2022)
This ASH webinar focuses on the role that smokefree mental health settings can play in supporting the implementation of NHS Long Term Plan tobacco dependence treatment pathway in mental health settings.
- Hazel Cheeseman, Deputy Chief Executive, ASH: Insights from ASH’s 2019 report on progress towards smokefree mental health services and reflections on changes since the pandemic
- Mary Yates, Nurse Consultant & Smoke-Free Lead, South London and Maudsley NHS Foundation Trust: Restrictive practice and smokefree policies
- Ogechi Anokwuru and Dr Sally Macvinish, East London NHS Foundation Trust: Early implementer site update – East London NHS Foundation Trust
- Aideen Dunne, National Medical Director’s Clinical Fellow, NHS England: Looking beyond inpatient settings – supporting smoking cessation in the community
Richard Roberts, Matron, Mill View Hospital, Sussex Partnership NHS Foundation Trust: Experience of going smokefree
Webinar: Securing a smokefree future for mental health services (September 2021)
This joint webinar hosted by ASH and the Mental Health and Smoking Partnership focuses on the smoking and mental health components of the NHS Long Term Plan (LTP).
- Prof Ann McNeil: Why we need to address smoking now
- Professor Tim Kendall: The NHS Long Term Plan in Mental Health services
- Mary Yates, South London and Maudsley NHS FT: An integrated smokefree service model
- Lisa Evans, Nottinghamshire Healthcare NHS FT: Spotlight on training – supporting and empowering staff and patients
- Angela Bartley, East London NHS Foundation Trust: Early implementer site update
- Dr Debbie Robson: E-cigarettes: how they can support a smokefree future in mental health services
- Michelle Higgins, Leeds and York Partnership NHS FT: Using e-cigarettes to become smokefree
Do mental health professionals have the training they need to tackle smoking? (December 2020)
This joint webinar by Equally Well and the Mental Health and Smoking Partnership looks at the role of training in equipping staff in mental health services to tackle tobacco dependency among service users. The event sees the launch of a new report on training among psychiatrists and mental health nurses undertaken by public health charity Action on Smoking and Health (ASH).
Implementing PH48 in Mental Health Trusts (September 2020)
This webinar presents 4 best practice case studies from Trusts on their experiences implementing the PH48 guidance. The webinar was chaired by Professor Ann McNeill, Chair of the Mental Health and Smoking Partnership and included speakers from South London and Maudsley NHS Foundation Trust, West London NHS Trust, Central and North West London NHS Foundation Trust and Solent NHS Trust.
Opportunities for driving down smoking prevalence among people with mental health problems (June 2020)
This Mental Health & Smoking Partnership webinar provides information on smoking and mental health in the context of COVID-19. The webinar covers changes in smoking behaviour among people with mental health conditions during COVID-19 lockdown as well as presentations from clinical and academic experts on providing support for people with mental health conditions to go smokefree.
SCIMITAR+ trial: bespoke smoking cessation for people with SMI (April 2019)
In this Mental Health and Smoking Partnership webinar, Professor Simon Gilbody, Director of the Mental Health and Addictions Research Group at the University of York, presents the findings from a SCIMITAR+ trial of bespoke smoking cessation for people with severe mental illness.
Implementation of Smokefree Policies in Inpatient Settings (August 2017)
In August 2017 the Mental Health and Smoking Partnership hosted a webinar to examine the implementation of smokefree policies in mental health settings, including case studies from trusts, an overview of NICE Guidance PH48 and recommendations from the Care Quality Commission (CQC).
The use of e-cigarettes among people with a mental health condition (November 2017)
On 13 November 2017, the Mental Health & Smoking Partnership hosted a webinar on the use of e-cigarettes among people with a mental health condition. The webinar featured presentations from Dr Debbie Robson who gave an overview of harm reduction and the evidence around e-cigarettes, then Louise Ross on harm reduction in the community, followed by Sam Churchward on harm reduction in inpatient settings.